TUTORIAL: Painting a Nerf Gun

Discussion in 'General' started by EXTINCT1ON, Mar 4, 2018.

1. EXTINCT1ON

EXTINCT1ON Australian Moderator Staff Member

TUTORIAL: Painting a Nerf Gun
    [​IMG]
    Above: Adam Savage's Custom Nerf rifle. Constructed from a Longstrike CS-6. Click HERE to watch its video on YouTube.

----------------------------------------------

Nerf guns are a fun hobby if you are deeply fascinated with guns but do not want to accidentally hurt yourself or want cops at your door. Since the 80's people have been collecting this toy guns and doing all sorts of things with them; not just painting but by overhauling the entire internal structure of the gun and replacing it with steel parts.

In this short tutorial, I will be giving your steps on how to paint a Nerf gun. My example will be with the double-barreled, muzzle-loaded, hammer action pistol, the Nerf Doublestrike.

-----

To start off with, all you will need is a small screwdriver. Begin by unscrewing every visible screw in the shell- they are on the side with the caution labels. Place the screws into a small container so that they don't go missing.

Once the screws have been removed, lever the shell gently so that it splits down the seam. Keep the side with the screwholes facing up, with the other half of the shell acting as a bowl to keep the internals inside.

----

[​IMG]

This is the Doublestrike's internals. The plunger tube and the muzzle are a single piece. The spring spike and hammer should be kept together. The anchor (the orange plastic piece above the trigger) keeps the internals locked down.

----
    [​IMG]

To take all of the internals out you will need to remove the orange anchor piece. Place this in the container alongside your screws.

----
    [​IMG]

This is the Doublestrike's spring. If you would like to double the range of the blaster, third-party replacements are avaliable for purchase online. Spring replacements range anywhere from 5 kilograms to 12 kilograms. For this tutorial I will be sticking with the stock spring. To purchase a replacement spring, click the below links:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Worker-Mod...249381?hash=item3b01432a25:g:etsAAOSwno1Zn58o

http://www.lightake.com/p/Worker-5k...-Nerf-Zombie-Doublestrike-Silver_2259889.html

If you do not want to buy a replacement spring, then continue on with the tutorial.

----
    [​IMG]

This is the muzzle and plunger tube piece. Do not unscrew this piece, leave it whole.

WARNING: DEPENDING ON YOUR COUNTRY, PAINTING A TOY GUN'S BARREL ANY COLOUR OTHER THAN ORANGE COULD RESULT IN LEGAL REPERCUSSIONS. IT IS AGAINST THE LAW TO POSSESS A TOY GUN WITH A MUZZLE THAT HAS BEEN PAINTED, ESPECIALLY BLACK. PLEASE BE MINDFUL WHERE YOU PLAY WITH THIS AND NEVER POINT THIS AT A STRANGER.

----

Next, grab yourself some masking tape and tape off the parts you do not want sprayed.
    [​IMG]
    Above: Right side of the shell with masking tape.

[​IMG]
    Above: The hammer segment with the plunger head and spring spike taped (left), as well as the barrel and plunger tube segment taped (right).

[​IMG]
    Above: Trigger with masking tape.

----

[​IMG]
    Before you start on the paint, first do a coat of priming etcher. This helps the glossy plastic grip onto the paint better. If you skip the priming step, you will find that your Nerf gun can't hold its paint.

Lightly spray over the entire shell, making sure to coat all angles of the blaster in an even coat. Don't forget to do the tactical rail as a lot of Nerf modders miss that area.

Wait an hour for the etching primer to set before applying the next coat. I will be doing white and chrome.

After you have painted the Nerf blaster with the top coat, go over it again in a couple of hours with a second coat of the same thickness.

----
    [​IMG]

Once the paint has dried (I waited 16 hours), take the pieces and begin removing the masking tape carefully.

----
    [​IMG]

After the tape has been removed, the pieces should look something like this.

[​IMG]
    Above: Trigger piece painted chrome (masking tape removed).
    ----

[​IMG]
    If you are happy with the shell, being by reassembling the pieces. If you forget where each piece goes, then refer to my above pictures or search online for a tutorial.

----

[​IMG]
    Done. The Nerf Doublestrike has now been painted. Assuming that you have put it back together the right way and you have installed a spring modification kit, your blaster should be firing darts like a beast while also looking the part.
    [​IMG]

My darts are white and grey because they are custom made. If you see any darts like these lying around, you should be scared because I might be around the corner!

----
    [​IMG]

Thank you for following my tutorial on how to paint the Nerf Doublestrike. If you have encountered any difficulties while modifying it or you have any feedback, please let me know below!

I am yet to think of a name for my pistol. If you have any suggestions for it, then let me know below!

• Creative Creative x 1
  2. Manu21

Manu21 Member

I'm going to try my luck with one of my pistols, I hope everything goes well lol

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. EXTINCT1ON

You should practice with a cheap Nerf gun initially, or even a piece of plastic you don't use, such as a broken bucket or pegs. Try a Jolt or a Maverick first, as these are common and cheap. Don't begin to paint electronic blasters such as the Stryfe, Vulcan or Barricade until you get the hang of it. Take plenty of pictures along the way and don't lose your screws!

4. Manu21

Manu21 Member

Thanks you bro!

• Like Like x 1
  5. EXTINCT1ON

I forgot to mention this in my first post, but when you are painting plastic remember to prime it first with an etching paint.

[​IMG]
    This is the primer I used. It is an Australian brand so not all people reading this can purchase it, but be sure to find an equivalent product.

Leave the etcher to dry for 1-2 hours before starting with the paint. Don't rush, the longer you take the better the results.

6. Manu21

Manu21 Member

Thank you very much.
    I will take some time to paint a weapon with this detailed fragment of how to do it. The first time is always difficult, but then it becomes easier.
    Thanks for your help.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. EXTINCT1ON

This is my latest Nerf mod.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Same technique used as the first gun, just more work due to its size.

I used spray paint designed for metal and as a result I had to both sand the gun by hand then use etching paint. The sanding, masking and etching took 2 hours by itself, but was definitely worth it.

I love the colour of green that I used. The green does very well with the black and the chrome.

If you can think of a good name for it then post it down below.

8. BlazingInferno

BlazingInferno Active Member

Raptor?

• Like Like x 1
  9. EXTINCT1ON

Although I like birds and dinosaurs, in my opinion the name "Raptor" is not appropriate for this kind of weapon. Since a raptor is a bird and birds can fly long distances, I would expect a sniper rifle to be named 'Raptor' rather than an assault rifle since sniper rifles are more range focused. I am of course assuming that you are talking about my second gun here, my green Nerf Rival Zeus.

Very good suggestion though! If someone in my Nerf group wants a good name for a sniper rifle I'd suggest Raptor. Obsidian, Totality and Diapir are cool-sounding names that i've previously thought of for my Nerf guns.